Saturday 25 February 2023

A whats app message from an ADC to Chinar Corps Commander of early 90s

Those days, opening arty fire was Army Commander powers. Every time Pakis opened fire on LC with their arty, GOC 15 Corps had to call GOC-in-C Northern Command to open retaliatory fire. Later, this got delegated to Company Commander in 1999-2000. 

On several occasions, Army Commander refused permission. So old man would call BGS Brig Sharma and ask him to take his orders in writing and order firing of arty. Next day, SitRep would show arty exchange and furious Army Commander would call to find out why his orders were countermanded. Old man would say something like, 'I am exercising my military judgement and if my decision is wrong in the eyes of Chief, I will be happy to tender my resignation.' Or things to that effect. 

The Army Commander fumed and fumed but could do nothing.